Saturday 4 March 2017

Contact Sports with an Ostomy

I never thought that the competitive and crazy game of basketball would mean so much to me.  I know the sound of shoes gripping a freshly waxed wooden floor like the back of my hand.  My life has revolved around basketball since I was young. That is because I am from the midwest and basketball has been apart of my life since I was born.  We are given balls to play with as kids and baby basketball hoops as soon as we can walk.  It is a part of life to learn the game of basketball and to try to make it professionally.  Now I am not a professional but I thought my entire chances at life ended when I found out about my scheduled ostomy.  The thought of losing my favorite sport and activity in the world kinda broke me when I heard the news.  The life-saving surgery didn't matter to me, only the thoughts of what I would lose came to mind.  But I want to tell you there is hope and that your dreams won't be crushed by having a stoma.  No, I am not a professional basketball player, because I am not that good. And even though I have a stoma, I still like to play. 



We all get irrational and yet sometimes relevant fears of surgery are not something to brush off. It can be terrifying for some.   I never take someone's fears and laugh at them.  I understand them because I have been afraid of losing my favorite parts of life too.  The idea of having an ostomy bag to carry around for life made me so angry when I was younger that I hated life.  That is pretty normal because looks and perception are reality.  No amount of, "its OK" will make you feel better.  But being a bit older and experiencing a whole lot more of life and I can firmly say that my life didn't change when I got my stoma. But my stoma does not hold me back and I am an active dude.



There are some things that are key and that is getting ostomy gear that works for you and your body.  I have found that having some good ostomy gear is really important.  I am a big fan of testing things out and testing them hard before putting them on the court.  So I started my searching journey by asking my ostomy nurse and doctors all I could.  I learned as much as they did on the topic and they suggest I talk to pharmacists too. 



Pharmacists can be a huge help when learning about your new stoma.  I went back a few years later and thanked my first stoma pharmacist for being so kind to me and patient.  It was really a cool moment and he gave me hope even though I didn't know it at the time or appreciate it.  So that was a great starting point.  I then ended up talking with big companies and learning what options and cool gear were out there. What type of ostomy bags were the size and style I needed.  They gave me samples of elastic belts and bags with loops to keep everything nice and close to me.  With this help I got back to playing just like normal. A stoma guard helps too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Common Issues Related To Ostomy Bags

To check whether or not an ostomy pouch fits your requirements well is to see if the use of it results in uncomfortable issues . Those iss...